History of the ownership of of the Manor House of Draškovič

The history of the Manor House of Draškovič in Čachtice dates back to 1677 (some sources also mention the year 1668). The Croatian nobleman Nikola Draškovič, who married the Countess Barbora Drugeth, the granddaughter of Elizabeth Báthory, initiated building the manor house, which also bears his name.

At the beginning of the 18th century, the building was acquired by the Forgách family. They owned the manor house for the longest time – for more than 140 years. 

The last owner was the Czenkay family that bought the manor house from the Forgách family in 1852.

In the 19th and early 20th century, the manor house served as a dosshouse for poor population, which had fatal effects on its condition.

History of building of the Manor House of Draškovič

The building underwent two major reconstructions: in the 1950s, when the side southwest and northeast wings in a desolate state were removed, and in the 1960s, when it belonged to Jednota and a restaurant was established in a large part of the building. Jednota had three pubs in the building and in 1989, after the end of this function, the building was handed over to the Museum of Trenčín.

Both of these reconstructions are still visible in the construction and especially in the details of the building and they significantly contribute to the overall interior solution of the manor house.